Sunday, February 2, 2014

Still Dumbfounded - So let's get real about "Punishing the Deed"

Kid dies; animal rights "activists" rush in to save the dog.

...

Woman gets mauled to death by dogs while taking her daily walk; that state's legislators rush to pass a laws to protect the doggies and the doggie owners.

...

Right. 

So, here's my counter proposal. (Not lawyer speak, I know)

Your dog kills someone who is not committing a felony crime against your person, you get charged with manslaughter and the dog is euthanized. 

Your dog maims a person who is not committing a felony (loss of limb, use of hand, eye, causes facial disfigurement, all of which can effect future earnings potential), you get charged with a felony and are on the hook for all future medical bills.  The dog is euthanized.

Your dog unprovoked bites a person or severely bites and/or kills another's animal off your property, or a person or animal legally on your property, you're on the hook for all medical/vet bills and must better control your dog in the future.  If it happens again, you get charged with a felony and your dog is euthanized.


Am I missing anything?

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh geez, I hadn't see that.

      That's totally crazy. Seriously, totally crazy.

      Delete
  2. I don't think you missed anything. When the deed is done, the punishment should be clear, swift and severe. As severe as a mauling by a pit bull. You know if that were actually to happen the nutters would just move the goal posts again and cry 'oh poor me...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sick of hearing "punish the deed" and nobody's got the guts to punish the owner, or the dog.

      Delete
  3. This USED to be common sense. Thirty years of LIES and carefully constructed talking points from pit advocacy (and let's be honest; dogs aren't killing and maiming people for the most part, PIT BULLS are) has people dumbfounded and dumbed down and the law and responsibility waving a white (blood soaked) flag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish leash laws were more strictly enforced. Too many times I have been out with my behemoths (they're like 100 lbs and 80 lbs respectively) only to come across a dog without a leash b/c their owner didn't think they needed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I ride with my dogs unleashed. They are under voice control. I know most people don't know what that is, so I get what you're saying.

      I wish more people with large dogs could actually control them while on leash. I had a 110 lb Akita that most folks wouldn't have been able to control when she lunged, I could, but I've handled horses for decades.

      Folks with big or 'capable' dogs on leash worry me more than the occasional pom or bc off leash.

      Delete